Coronavirus - Caring for the Vulnerable

It's important we look out for our family, friends and neighbours, especially if they live alone, are elderly or have pre-existing health conditions. 


You may be able to help without having face-to-face contact. You could:

  • Pop a note through their door giving them your phone number, if they don't already have it
  • Keep in touch by phone or social media
  • Help them by doing their food shopping and leaving it on their doorstep
  • Pointing them to trusted and reliable information, such as our website, the NHS website, or the information from central Government
  • Encourage people to stay active at home where possible

If you, or a friend or family member feels anxious or worried, there is some helpful information on the Mind website.

A Facebook group called ‘Essex Coronavirus Action Support' has been set up as a collaboration between Essex County Council and the Essex Public Health Team and local Facebook groups to support the community in helping one other during the Coronavirus outbreak. This can be accessed here:

Not on Facebook? But still looking to get involved? Visit the link to sign up to volunteer and find out how you could make a difference and support your community:


The Essex Welfare Service
This new service is a single, convenient point of contact for anyone in the Essex area who is in urgent need of help during the Coronavirus outbreak. It is also the place to report anyone who you are concerned about.

Call: 0300 303 9988
Email: [email protected]

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 2pm

You can also stay in touch with all the latest updates from the Essex Coronavirus Action Facebook page.

Residents who are shielding (also known as "Category A" residents) who registered with the Government for food parcels, have their parcels processed and delivered direct from the Government via a dedicated phone line and on-line system. Where any such residents have concerns about their parcels e.g. residents who no longer want a parcel; non delivery of a parcel; change in dietary needs etc they should contact the Essex Welfare Service to advise. 


Support for the extremely vulnerable
Register for coronavirus support on GOV.UK if you have a medical condition that makes you extremely vulnerable to coronavirus. For example, you'll be able to ask for help getting deliveries of essential supplies like food.


Citizens Advice
We have been advised by Citizens Advice Rochford & Rayleigh that they will be closing face to face Services in their offices from Mon 23 March.  Advice also remains available at 0300 330 2101 and


Link to Guidance on Shielding and Protecting People Defined as Extremely Vulnerable on Medical Grounds:

From Monday 6 July, those clinically extremely vulnerable people across England who are "shielding" can gather in groups of up to 6 people outdoors and form a ‘support bubble' with another household. They will be able to spend time outdoors in a group of up to 6 people including those outside of their household, while maintaining social distancing. Those who are shielding and live alone or are single parents with children will also be able to create a ‘support bubble' with one other household of any size, following the same rules already in place for the wider population.

Government shielding support package will remain in place until the end of July when people will no longer be advised to shield. 

Link to Coronavirus and Pregnancy:


 Care homes and Adult Social Care

From 17 May, care home residents will be able to have more named visitors and more opportunities to make visits out with no need to self-isolate when they return.

As part of step three of the roadmap, the number of named family members or friends able to visit care homes will be increased from two to five, with a maximum of two visitors allowed at any one time or on any given day.

Residents will also be able to go to medical appointments, a workplace, educational setting or day centre without having to self-isolate on their return. Updated guidance will be published in due course. 

Information for the social care sector on responding to the pandemic can also be found here.

A £600 million Infection Control Fund has been introduced to tackle the spread of COVID-19 in care homes.  



Test kits have been offered to every care home for over-65s or those with dementia in England.



The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG)

OPG has some very helpful advice about ways in which people can make certain decision for you or do certain things on your behalf e.g. through a last power of attorney (LPA) or through something called deputyship.

For more information about making and registering an LPA during the coronavirus outbreak please use this link: take around 8 weeks to register. This includes a 4 week waiting period required by law. If you think you may need someone to help you make decisions or make decisions for you soon, you can still make an LPA.

However, there are also other ways people can make certain decisions for you or do certain things on your behalf that are quicker to get in place. These may be useful while you're waiting to make an LPA or if you're self-isolating and need someone to carry out bank transactions for you. has produced specific guidance about being a deputy or attorney during the COVID 19 outbreak which can be found here:  


Updated 30/06/21



Latest news

Great Wakering Parish Council Christmas Lights Competition 2021 23/11/2021

The Great Wakering Parish Council Chritmas Lights Competition is open for entries until noon the 10th of December 2021...more


Exciting News –Your Voice meeting 1st December [email protected] 2pm - 3pm    We are excited to invite you to Your Voice meeting on Wednesday 1st December 2021 from 2pm  until 3pm...more

Where we are

Contact details

Please contact us using the following details, or via our online enquiry form.

01702 219343